Friday, April 30, 2010

Android Developer Console Implements Error Tracking

It's been a while since I've praised an Android Market feature, especially from the developer side, but I have to give them props today.

They've implemented what they're calling a "Feedback Experiment" in the developer portal, where developers upload and maintain their apps. At first, I thought this was referring to market comments, but when I launched the feature, I saw that it was an error tracking console, indicating freezes and crashes from each app. The information includes the date, device model, error, and a stack trace!

I had put in manual error tracking in my more popular apps because none of the analytics packages I've tried handle error tracking worth a squat. But my implementation is pretty clunky. Basically, if the app crashes, the next time the user opens it, they're prompted to send an email with the stack trace and some device information. Now I can take that code out of those apps.

Very nice, Android Team. Thanks.

EDIT (5/1/10): And today it's gone. That was a short experiment. Hopefully it will be up again soon.

2 comments:

  1. Ah... good to hear that we are not being left out here in Europe. Very frustrating to read about this (which is really, really needed) and not being able to find it in the console.

    Hopefully they will be implementing this for real shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the thoughtful and good post.I like your blog creativity.This is one of the great post.
    Android app developers

    ReplyDelete