Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Nexus One Launched

Google is currently having its press conference to announce its new in-house Android phone, the Nexus One. The new features of 2.1 don't sound all that earth-shattering (stuff like voice-to-text for all input fields). It looks like an incremental upgrade to the Droid, both in terms of software and hardware.

The site selling the Nexus One is now live:

http://www.google.com/phone

The site's got a cool interactive demo of the phone and some of its apps. It's a little buggy for me, even in Google Chrome, but it's still kind of cool.

I'm not going to replace my Droid. If they happen to be giving them out at Google I/O this year, that would be great.

I'm curious to see how well this phone does, sales-wise. It's going to have the mighty behemoth that is Google handling the marketing and advertising, and that's what they do best. Of course I'd like to see them sell truckloads of these things, but time will tell.

Update: Interesting. I just looked at the purchase page for the Nexus One, and it's showing you can buy it subsidized with a contract from T-Mobile for $179, off-contract (to use with ATT) for $529. I knew that already. But there's a slot for using the Nexus One on Verizon, coming this Spring. I don't know how that's going to work. I thought a phone had to be either GSM or CDMA. Maybe there are two versions of the phone? I'd initially heard that Verizon wasn't interesting in supporting the phone. Guess that info was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment